Every parent tries to do her best for the children. However, there is hardly ever enough money to do everything that we need for our children with ASD. The good news is that there is help out there. Luckily, Ontario is a home to many charities and financial aid programs that will make your dream of helping your child attainable. Below is a short list of funding options primarily for children ages 0-18.

Goverment Funding

Medical and Disability-Related Information:
Disability Tax Credit Certificate (FORM T-2201) & RC4064 Guide
Once your child receives an official diagnosis from a competent medical professional, you can file the Disability Tax Credit Certificate with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). It is advisable that you file for Canada child tax benefit (CCTB) prior or at the same time with T-2201, since the disability payment - Child Disability Benefit (CDB) - is a part of this larger child-related payment package. For more information, please read the forms on the CRA website and contact a customer service representative.

Also, you can review RC4064 Guide, which includes Form T-2201, to determine what your next step is. For more information and assistance, please call CRA toll-free directly at 1-800-267-6999 and 1-800-387-1193.

There are other various tax breaks and deductions that you can use depending on your child's (ages 0-18) individual situation. For instance, you can claim Child Care Expenses Deduction. Call CRA at 1-800-959-8281 to learn more.

We are very thankful to Raj Shanghavi, Senior Tax Analyst, for the very valuable Medical Expenses Presentation

Special Services at Home (SSAH)
The Ontario Ministry of Children and Youth Services administers SSAH. This type of funding is designed to help children with special needs (both developmental - read "autism" - and physical). The funding is NOT income-based and families are encouraged to apply. In mid-2014, the Ontario government has invested additional funds to add 4,000 families to the program for 2014/2015 funding cycle. Please visit the main site for a detailed description of this funding program and your local ministry office to apply.

Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD)
ACSD is designed to help children with disabilities. This funding is income-based, however, any family can still apply if they have extraordinary expenses that dwarf the family income. The income threshold is not set in stone. If your application is denied, you have a right to appeal. Please note that representatives from can assist in filling out both SSAH and ACSD Applications. To sign up for a funding options workshop, please contact this provider directly at 416-322-6317. If your child is approved to receive funding through the Autism Intervention Program (AIP) and is on the waiting list to receive Intensive Behavioural Intervention (IBI) therapy through Toronto Partnership for Autism Services (TPAS), you will have an opportunity to attend a free seminar about respite and funding options with this service provider as well.

Ontario Disability Support Payment (ODSP)
ODSP is designed to support adults (18 and older) with disabilities if they do not have their independent income. This money covers dental and drug cards and % of equipment cost, etc.

There are Toronto-based providers that host free seminars on what ODSP is and how to apply for this type of funding. For example, Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital ("Holland Bloorview Kids Rehab") offers either free or very affordable workshops on different topics, including funding options and free access to rehabilitation facilities.

Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hostpital has an on-site family resource centre. The Grocery Foundation Resource Centre, 150 Kilgour Rd., Toronto, ON M4G 1R8. There is also an Online Family Resource Centre that provides tips with information and links to hospital-based and external resources on funding, respite, school and parenting tips. For more information about workshops and resources, please contact June Chiu, ph.: 416-425-6220 ext. 3319, email:

Assistive Device Program (through OHIP, not income-based)
ADP can cover augmentative communication devices, learning aids, specialized equipment (up to 75%), etc. For more information, please call 416-327-8804 or 1-800- 268-6021.

Family Directed Respite Planning (
FDRP is designed to support children with ASD (ages 0-18). To get more information on this type of funding, please contact directly at 416-322-6317 ext. 8. Also, works with other agencies and can help you access the interagency funding (up to certain %), i.e., "FLEX Funding", which is not income- based.

KIDS IN CAMP is a registered charity which subsidizes camp experiences for children and youth.

DSO Toronto website offers information on different programming and supports, including grants and other types of funding in Ontario. You can serve option for North York directly as well. DSTO's Passport Funding is covers children 16 of age and older, who are not eligible for ODSP.

JAF serves population ages 0-21, who have chronic illness, including various disabilities (ASD, Developmental Delay, Intellectual Disability). The funding can be used for therapies, specialised software and recreation.

President's ChoiceĀ® Children's Charity (PCCC)
PCCC in Ontario supports kids with disabilities ages 0-18. There is an application process that involves collecting documents, including the Letter of Diagnosis of Disability, and mailing in the application. Receiving funding is income based (below $60,000). For more information on what is covered, please call 1-888-495-5111 or visit the charity's website.

Ontario March of Dimes
This organization supports both children and adults. There is an application process as well. As for its relevance for ASD, Ontario March of Dimes funds augmentative communication devices. For more information, please call 416-425-3463 or 1-800- 263-3463 or visit their website.

Easter Seals
Easter Seals charity is a "3rd party vendor" that focuses on helping children and young adults with permanent physical disabilities. Contact them at 416-932-8382 to find out information on supporting individuals with autism.

Little Geeks: Free Computers for kids with ASD
This resource is income-base. Please check in with the charity to determine your eligibility.


Kiwanis Club
Kiwanis Club funds sports, camps and recreation programs for children and young adults with disabilities.

Lion's Club
Lion's Club reviews funding requests and needs on individual basis.

Kin Canada: Kinsmen and Kinette Clubs
Kinsmen and Kinette Club works with community organizations and individual to meet the needs of the immediate community where these individuals live. For more information, please call 1- 800-742-5546 or visit their Bursaries page.

Note: Many thanks to and Toronto Partnership for Autism Services for providing a lot of the funding information mentioned on this page.